Friday, December 05, 2008

The Soft Land of Playlist

Thanks to Alex for filling in for me last week while I was away. I've been under the weather and have lost my voice. So, I try to keep the talking to the minimum on today's show -- for your sake, my dreamy friends.

Coffeetime, December 5, 2008, Angelynn Grant

bed
Bucky Pizzarelli / Flashes - Solo 7-String Guitar, Volume 3 / Arbors Jazz / 2004

set 1
Blue Mitchell / The Cup Bearers / Capers / Riverside / 8.28, 30.62 [4.11.62?]
Horace Silver / Blue Note Gems of Jazz (BLP2001) / Safari / Blue Note / 10.9.52
Jimmie Lunceford & his Orch / Yesterdays / radio transcription / 1941-2 / featuring Freddy Webster on trumpet
Noel Coward / Most of Ev'ry Day / HMV / London 10.29.34 / with Carroll Gibbons on piano
Dizzy Gillespie / School Days / I Couldn't Beat the Rap / Savoy / 8.16.51 / vocal = Melvin Moore
Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong / Ella and Louis Again / Autumn in New York / Verve / LA 7.23.57

set 2
Hank Mobley / The Turnaround / The Good Life / Blue Note / 3.7.63
Herbie Mann's Californians / Great Ideas of Western Mann / A Handful of Stars / Riverside / LA 7.3.57
Pee Wee Russell's Rhythmakers / Dinah / HRS / 8.31.38
Ted Weems & his Orch / Walkin' My Baby Back Home / Victor / 1931
Lil Armstrong & his Swing Orch / I'm Knocking at the Cabin Door / Decca / 4.15.37
Chuck Willis / It's Too Late Baby / Atlantic / 1956

set 3
Kenny Dorham / Trompeta Toccata / Mamacita / Blue Note 9.14.64
Tadd Dameron Sextet / The Chase / Blue Note / 9.26.47
The Dreamers / Doin' the Bow Wow / Standard transcription / LA 8.39 / with the King Cole Trio
Gene Krupa & his Orch / Bolero at the Savoy / CBS radio transcription / Hollywood Palladium 10.14.41 / vocal = Anita O'Day
Frank Minion / The Soft Land of Make Believe (Introduction to Black Opium Street) / So What / Bethlehem / 1.60

set 4
Russ Freeman / Jazz West Coast, volume 5 / Invitation to the Blues / World Pacific / LA 1959
Dizzy Gillespie / The Swords / EmArcy / LA 9.62
Chu Berry "Little Jazz" Ensemble / Sittin' In / Commodore / 11.10.38
Ann Southern / soundtrack to Panama Hattie / I've Still Got My Health / Hollywood 1943
King Cole Trio / I Love You (for Sentimental Reasons) / Capitol / LA 8.22.46
Sammy Davis, Jr / All the Way… and Then Some! / They Can't Take That Away from Me / Decca / 2.20.57
The Gospel Songbirds / The Bible is Right / Nashboro / 1962

last soul song
Betty Wright / I Love the Way You Love / I'm Gettin' Tired Baby / Alston / 1972