Friday, September 18, 2026

The Playlist Who Lives on the Hill

Screenshot from TV broadcast of Nat King Cole and the chorus of singers sitting on white, iron café chairs on a stage set, with Nat facing the singers, some of whom are sitting on the floor of the stage. Nat and the male singers are in pale blue suits and the female singers are in dresses with white chiffon skirts and pastel colored, sparkly sequinned bodices. Nat is holding a straw boater hat and smiling as the chorus sings.
Nat knows that the best way to cap off the summer is in your pastel finery at a French café.

Coffeetime, September 18, 2026, Angelynn Grant

set 1
Ray Charles / Ray Charles in Person / The Spirit-Feel / Atlantic / live, Herndon Stadium, Atlanta 5.28.59
Benny Golson / Groovin’ with Golson / The Stroller / New Jazz / 8.28.59
International Sweethearts of Rhythm / Galvanizing / radio broadcast, AFRS Jubilee / Hollywood early 1945 / with intro by master of ceremonies Ernie “Bubbles” Whitman
Gene Kardos & his Orchestra / My Extraordinary Gal / Victor / 4.7.32 / vocal = Dick Robertson
Lionel Robinson / I Can’t Go On Without You / Gotham / 6.49
Julie London / Bethlehem’s Girl Friends / You’re Blasé / Bethlehem / 1955 / celeste!

bed
Bucky Pizzarelli / Flashes - Solo 7-String Guitar, Volume 3 / Arbors Jazz / 2004

set 2
Blue Mitchell / Heads Up! / The Folks Who Live on the Hill / Blue Note / 11.17.67
Sonny Criss / This is Criss! / Skylark / Prestige / 10.21.66
John Coltrane / Ballads / I Wish I Knew / Impulse! / 11.13.62
Willie Lewis & his Entertainers / I’m Shooting High / Pathé Marconi / Paris 5.5.36 / vocal = Adelaide Hall
Johnnie “Geechie” Temple / Fix It Up and Go / Decca / 9.23.40
Les Brown & his Band of Renown / I Wish I Knew / radio transcription / live Palladium, Hollywood 8.16.45 / vocal = Doris Day
Clarence “Gatemouth” Brown / Mary Is Fine / Peacock / Houston 1.49

set 3
Stanley Turrentine / ZT’s Blues / I Wish I Knew / Blue Note / 9.13.61
Al Casey / Buck Jumpin’ / Casey’s Blues / Prestige Swingville / 3.7.60
Sonny Stitt / Kaleidoscope / Sonny Sounds / Prestige / 2.25.52
Jo Stafford & her V-Disc Play Boys / Blue Moon / V-Disc 569B / 4.19.45
The Five Keys / Too Late / Aladdin / 3.22.51 
Noël Coward / Noel Coward in New York / Sail Away / Columbia / 1956

set 4
Paul Smith / By the Fireside / Out of Nowhere / Savoy / 4.18.50
Chico Hamilton / The Chico Hamilton Quintet in Hi-Fi / Sleepy Slept Here / Pacific Jazz / Hollywood 2.56
Larry Adler / Ritual Fire Dance / Columbia / London 2.35 / with orchestra conducted by Carroll Gibbons
King Cole Trio / Embraceable You / V-Disc 365B / Hollywood 12.15.43 / NKC p & voc, Oscar Moore g, Johnny Miller b
Nat King Cole / That Sunday, That Summer / BBC TV broadcast, An Evening With Nat King Cole / London 7.63 / with the Cliff Adams Singers and the Ted Heath Orchestra 
Highway QC’s / Child of God / Vee-Jay / Chicago 1956

last soulful song
The Pretenders / I Call It Love / Carnival / 1970