Thursday, January 20, 2005

Running (Live!) Playlist

I'll attempt to post the playlist as I do the show; let’s see if I can pat my tummy & rub my head:

Coffeetime, January 20, 2005

bed

Barney Kessel / People // George Van Eps / The Man I Love

set 1
Jackie McLean / New Soil / Formidable / Blue Note / 5.2.59
Jimmy Hamilton / Swing Low, Sweet Clarinet / Blue Room / Everest / 1960
Russell Procope’s Big Six / Bottle It / HRS / fall 1946
Willard Robinson & His Levee Loungers / I’ve Got a Feeling I’m Falling / Columbia / 3.12.29
Harry Roy & his Orch / The Piccolino / HMV? / London 10.9.35 / voc = Bill Currie
T-Bone Walker / Come Back to Me Baby Blues / Mercury / 12.19.45 / with Marl Young & his Orch and background voc = Melvin Moore & Nick Cooper
Etta Jones / Love Shout / Hi-Lili, Hi-Lo / Prestige / 1963

set 2
Jimmy Raney / A / You Don’t Know What Love Is / Prestige / 3.8.55
Red Norvo / Music to Listen to Red Norvo By / Divertimento, 2nd Movement / Contemporary / LA 1.26, 2.9, 3.2.57
New Orleans Lucky Seven / Goose Pimples / Okeh / 10.25.27
Helen Humes / Do What You Did Last Night / 11.26.27 / J.C. Johnson on piano
Jo Stafford / Three Little Words / AFRS #333 transcription / 9.10.50
Annisteen Allen / Oo-Oo-Bob-A-Lee-Bob / Queen / 1946
Fred Astaire & Jack Buchanan / from film “The Band Wagon” / I Guess I’ll Have to Change My Plan / MGM / 12.9, 10.52

set 3
James Moody / Cookin’ the Blues / Little Buck / Cadet / live at The Jazz Workshop, San Francisco, 1961
Sahib Shihab / Jazz Sahib / Jamila / Savoy / 7.9.57
Arthur “Guitar Boogie” Smith / Sheik of Araby / transcription / Charlotte NC 1945
Stan Getz / Opus de Bop / Savoy / 7.31.46
The Dreamers / Music’ll Chase Your Blues Away / Standard transcription / 8.39 / backed by the King Cole Trio
Kay Starr / What Can I Say After I Say I’m Sorry / Standard transcription / 5.45 / backed by Les Paul & his Trio
Dave Bartholomew / Mr. Fool / DeLuxe / New Orleans 4.49
Dakota Staton / More Than the Most / Love Walked In / Capitol / 1959

set 4
The Johnny Smith Quartet / Blues 0500 / Roost / 2.8.56
The Sons of Sauter Finegan / Lip Service / RCA / 1954
Louis Bellson’s Just Jazz All Stars / The Jeep is Jumpin’ / Capitol / LA 2.52
Cleo Brown / Boogie Woogie / Decca / 3.12.35
Chuck Willis / Keep a Knockin’ / Columbia / 2.5.54
Astrud Gilberto / Now / Take It Easy, My Brother Charlie / CTI? / 1972
Soul Stirrers / Jesus Gave Me Water / Specialty / 3.1.51

last soul song
Aretha Franklin / Take It Like You Give It / Only the One You Love / Columbia / 1967


Well, it wasn’t a complete success: trying to blog the playlist while during the show might be more than I can handle!

Show to be uploaded in the next couple of days. Stay tuned to this blog!